Thursday, February 27, 2014

In the Garden of Good and Evil

A few posts back I mentioned evil and whether people think evil truly exists. I said that might be a topic for another post. Well today is the day for a bit of musing about evil and the nature of evil. Please be forewarned that this musing will go in multiple directions. I have no steadfast belief about "evil" at this time. One thing I do believe is that it exists. So this musing is more about exploring "ideas" about evil. I'm not a theologian and what I use here are just bits and pieces I have gleaned from reading not an in depth "knowledgeable" discussion of the topic.



First I want to muse a bit about the thoughts of Macquarrie, an Anglican philosophical theologian. He wrote both Principles of Christian Theology and Jesus Christ in Modern Thought; neither of which I have read.  Here, however, is what intrigues me about his thoughts about the nature of evil. He viewed evil as a reversal of the positive phenomenon of "becoming"  Though we are created and supported by God, we are in constant peril of "un-becoming". Good exists as the striving to "become." Which fits with my personal thoughts about connecting with your soul, being on the path that God has set for us, and "growing" closer in our spiritual relationship with God. In short, "becoming". While evil works for the exact opposite of "becoming" which is to un-become. Or perhaps think of it as de-evolving. Reaching a lower level with less and less spiritual awareness until only base desires and nothingness exists. I can "see' this in the "evil" present in serial killers and other depraved offenders.


Second, I read a short piece and I forget where; that we view evil as an external force and in doing so we allow people to put the "blame" elsewhere rather than examine the aspects of good and evil that exists in all of us. Now when I think about this idea, I agree with it to a point. Inside us, we all possess the inherent ability to be both good and evil. Yet I disagree that there is never an external "evil" in the world. I think there is, although it's shape and form I'm not sure of. When you think of the "internal" aspect of this viewpoint it actually fits with the idea of "becoming". You can either strive toward a higher spiritual self or you can stray so far from the source of good (God) that you run the risk of "un-becoming."  It reminds me that I must be diligent in my spiritual quest so that apathy doesn't invade my thoughts and the weariness of the world doesn't pull me too far from the path.

"Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." Romans 12:21  

 
 
Then we have the work of Friedrich Nietzsche, a German philosopher, and author of Beyond Good and Evil.   While I do not agree with a lot of what I read associated with his thoughts I find myself musing this: 
 
“Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster... for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you.”    
 
Gazing into the abyss, when you begin to know or understand something that is so fundamentally different from yourself, it affects you. Perhaps you even take a piece of it with you.
 
Think about it in the realm of criminal profilers if that is easier to process than the construct of evil. Profilers that research, study, talk with, examine, and "get inside the heads" of violent offenders are affected by it. Yes, there are ways to avoid it or counter it but as you "connect" with such individuals you cannot help but be drawn into a world that is fundamentally different than the world at large.  
 
Turn away from evil and do good; so shall you dwell forever.    Psalm 37:27
 
I think the same can be said to be true in a positive manner also. When you look "into the light" (for lack of better comparison) then the light gazes also into you. I've long said that as a "collector of stories" that I learn and grown and am transformed by the stories I hear and the people I encounter. It's the same concept, isn't it?  The same could be said of  "musings".  Musings are a way of looking into things and each one can spiral toward a deeper understanding.
 
I warned you that this was going to go in a bunch of different directions all at once. I've even more thoughts I could muse about but I'll save that for another day.
 
Until then, hugs and hope and faith to you. I hope my writing might help you in some small way on your journey.
 
 
 
 
 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Soul Care 2020

I think 2020 will be a great year for another round of Soul Care. Well, technically we should be doing that all the time but lets put a spec...