Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The Stone

 
 
 
So a few Sundays back the minister at our church had a bunch of stones in a bowl of water. As we went to take communion we were to reach in and select a stone. This was suppose to remind us of our baptism.  I'm sure some people were skeptical but of course this activity was something I was naturally drawn to. Symbolism (outside of what people may believe are "meaningful symbols") is always a powerful connection for me.
 
I purposefully decided as I walked forward to reach down into the water, under some other stones to select mine. I didn't want to look in and try to select a stone that was pretty or had some other allure to me. I wanted a stone selected without conscious thought. Random, if random exists in this world where I think nothing is really a coincident.  I wanted the stone to be the one I was supposed to have not one I decided to pick.  It was in the end the "perfect" stone. 
 
The picture really doesn't do it justice. It is a lovely deep red with veins of white in it. It is multi-faceted and very smooth. It is soothing to the touch. It has a few "wrinkles" which let me know it has "lived" awhile. Perhaps it holds some wisdom from the ages for who knows how old it is or how much it has witnessed. When carried in my pocket it collects heat and when taken out retains this warmness for quite some time.
 
 
I know it is to remind us of our baptism but to me it has became my "prayer stone." As I carry it, often in a pocket, I often reach in and touch it. Reminding myself of God's presence in day to day life.  If I start to worry, it is easy to hold it in my hand and say a quick prayer to give over the worries to God. I often use it to remind myself to pray for others. When I reach into my pocket or see it sitting on my desk or night stand I take a brief break from everyday busyness to offer up a prayer for an individual.
 
I've always prayed (mostly, sporadically I am sorry to say) but this little stone constantly reminds me to be prayful on a daily basis. I'm not "crazy". I know it's just a stone. It's not "magical" in any way and yet it seems to have messages to share. Perhaps it is just a simple venue for hearing the whispers of the soul. A way to connect on a deeper, more spiritual level. Isn't that what living life is all about? On this journey we all travel, what more can we ask for than to have a simple object that reminds us of blessings, of prayer, of faith. For some it is the cross (and I too love that simple symbol) but this little stone is my personal, private, secret way of connecting.
 
"When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. "But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you."
 
 Hugs to all of you and may you find peace and strength in the every day things in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Soul Care 2020

I think 2020 will be a great year for another round of Soul Care. Well, technically we should be doing that all the time but lets put a spec...