Sunday, February 9, 2014

Light Trumps Darkness


The pastor talked about "the light" in today's message and I wanted to take a few moments to muse about this idea. Light and darkness are often used metaphorically to speak of good and evil, good times and bad times, happiness and depression, all types of polar opposites.

I know in recent years there has been a lot of theoretical discussion about whether there really is "evil."  It seems lately in our politically correct world we "water down" concepts or ideas or even reality. I won't go in to great detail about my thoughts about this topic (evil) in this post as I realize that might be something that I want to muse about all on its own. So let's get back to the light.......

Part of the message was about hiding your light under a basket or concealing it in some other way. I can take this idea in several different directions. Each one speaks to the "why" of feeling hesitant to share "the light."

One would be that you don't recognize your own light, your own strengths, the opportunities you have to make a difference. You "down play" your importance in this world. Some of us want to avoid "tooting our own horns" so much that we fail to recognize the importance we can have in every day life. You don't have to travel half way across the world to "help" someone. Nor do you have to be in a position of power or authority.

I'm going to go in a direction now that might annoy some people. Remember I am "musing" as I write. This is one of those ideas that I have visited many times in my mind. The thing about musings is they change and evolve over time. They are not a constant but ever growing and seeking.

I am going to say......
that people that constantly "preach" their faith are a bit of a put off to most people. Sometimes they even use their "faith" as an excuse for things. The excuses are usually pretty shallow. A mere attempt to avoid real thought, prayer, reflection and insight replacing that instead with a regimented approach.

I can hear the gasps and complaints even as I type these words. I understand fully the idea of "sharing God" with others but I do not think it has to be a full frontal blast.  You can share probably more so by "doing" than by "preaching". Live your faith.  Setting an example through "doing" and "living" sends a much more powerful message than simple words. Yes at some point it is germane to share God's name or prayers but if you really want to open that door for people...do it through "shining some light in the darkness" first. Open the door on the darkness and let that be a beacon.


Another reason I think we "hide our light" is that sharing it is a lot of work. It's messy, it may create anxiety or sadness, it may put us in positions we would rather avoid. How so? you may be asking. Being aware of the world around us, the ugliness of some situations can create anxiety or sadness. When I worked as a LPC (Licensed Professional Counselor) this was something I struggled with. Some people's life situations are just sad, they didn't "ask for" some of the bad things that happened to them, and their life quite honestly really is bleak. It bears on one's heart and soul. It can engulf you.  Truthfully, its easier to hide in our comfortable world and avoid recognizing the other worlds out there. I'm not sure how you avoid this...except through taking care of your own spiritual self first then proceeding into the darkness.


This bible verse reminds me of something my daughter said one day about "light always trumps darkness." It made me think. There is always going to be darkness in the world but in our hearts and in our souls we need to remember and BELIEVE that it will always be trumped by light. We will always be able to outshine the darkness.

 
This my friends is how we move past the fear of sharing our light, the despair we may sometimes feel that we can't make a difference, the suffocating question of whether there is just too much darkness out there for us to make a difference.
 
Hugs to you.  I hope this post has at least made you think about your light and how you might share it in some small way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Soul Care 2020

I think 2020 will be a great year for another round of Soul Care. Well, technically we should be doing that all the time but lets put a spec...