Thursday, February 6, 2014

Connecting To The Soul Through Art

I'm not an artist but I like to play around with creative things every now and then. A few years back I started keeping an art journal. The natural extension to that was this little volume of Soul Musings. Creative expression evokes inside us a deeper connection to the soul, to our inner self and opens doorways to deeper understanding. I also believe sometimes through our creative endeavors we find answers or even a sense of direction.


This is a little book (3.25 x 5) so it's not for long ramblings but rather little snippets that pop into the mind or more often the heart. The page below is about using our talents to do powerful things in  life. What skills do you have that can be used in meaningful ways? Will you lead a life of purpose?  What will that look like? It takes a lot of courage.

 
"We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully."
Romans 12 6-8
 
Have you ever felt "called" to do something but for whatever reason, be it time, comfort level, or even a clear vision you just ignore the nudge?  When I started the little art journal of faith there was a call at our church for interest groups or small groups to get more people involved in church in a variety of ways. Immediately it popped into my mind that a group that worked on faith journals whether they be written or in art form might be something fun to do. I pretty much quickly talked myself out of it though because I doubted people would be interested. I never discussed it with anyone and time has passed but every now and again something pops up that appears to be a reminder of the idea. Who knows maybe one of these days I will "listen" to the nudge. Sometimes it's hard to tell if it's truly God's direction or our own interests but the more it pops up the more I ponder it.
 
I encourage you to start a faith journal, regardless of your belief system. Writing or creating art based on things that you reflect on and ponder opens up new pathways in the heart and often leads us on journeys we will never forget.
 
Hugs to each of you and may you journal your faith creatively and in your daily walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Soul Care 2020

I think 2020 will be a great year for another round of Soul Care. Well, technically we should be doing that all the time but lets put a spec...