Friday, January 6, 2017

Psalms, Journaling Bibles and 2017

This year I decided to step away for a bit from my planner version of faith art journaling. It has served me well the last few years but I wanted to experience God's words and my conversations with him in a different way.


I picked up this book a little before Christmas and decided to use it as my "kick off" for 2017. It is the entire book of Psalms with additional room for journaling and art work. It also includes some pages to color for those that prefer that format.

 
I spent some time reading and meditating on Psalm 1, several days in fact before I felt ready to actually put pen, marker and pencil to the page. The margins are also lined so you can write your thoughts and journal if you prefer that to drawing.
 
To me this Psalm speaks of following not only the path of the Godly but following the path God has set before us. We often are arrogant enough to believe we KNOW the path we should walk. We do not. Not really. We need to be humble and seek that which God sets before us. Sometimes it's a rough path but in the end we arrive at the exact spot God wants us to be while learning some valuable lessons along the route.
 
After buying this book I also received a Creative Journaling Bible as a Christmas gift. I have played around with a journaling Bible for a couple years but always hesitate because of "marking" inside the Bible. I've come to realize that spending time in God's word is good regardless of the way we do so.
 
 
There are a lot of creative journaling Bibles out there. This is the one I have, bought at Sam's Club.
 
 
I decided to start by doing Psalms 1 since I had already worked with that in the Psalms book I have, It was interesting to compare the two versions of the Psalms. The Psalms book is the Holy Bible-New Living Translation where as the creative Bible is Modern English Version.

What stood out to me was the idea that God knows us, better than we know ourselves and by following the righteous path he sets before us we are following him in the best way possible. I hope you have enjoyed the sneak peak into my faith art journaling this year. A different format but still on the quest for a deeper, more meaningful, spiritual relationship with God.

Hugs to each of you and I hope some of you might be inspired to join me on this creative endeavor and enjoy your conversations with God through a different media.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Soul Care 2020

I think 2020 will be a great year for another round of Soul Care. Well, technically we should be doing that all the time but lets put a spec...