Monday, July 21, 2014

Death, Resurrection, and the Glory of God

 
 
Gospel of John: Chapter 11
 
Chapter 11 contains the story of Lazarus and how Jesus brought him back from the dead. When Jesus heard that Lazarus was ill and his sisters, Mary and Martha were calling for Jesus to come heal him, he didn't hurry. There was no need to. The plan was already in place to use his death to glorify God and God's plan for eternal life.
 
Sometimes this story bothers me. I don't know why, maybe for a variety of reasons. It stretches my faith a bit and has me pondering why we don't see such miracles today. I've been thinking about that lately. How different our world of today is from the world of Jesus's time. Perhaps miracles happen every day and we have become too jaded to see them, to recognize God's hand in the overall lives of people. I mean miracles do happen and we call it science. People are "saved" everyday by medicines, treatment and operations, It's not quite the same thing now is it? Or perhaps it is? Who gives us the knowledge, the ability, the foresight, the chance discoveries?
 
I think the whole story is more about making people realize the wonder that eternal life truly is and yet there's something about it that continues to niggle at my brain, to cause just enough unrest to have it popping into my thoughts at unexpected times. It's as if there is a discovery, a "truth" just outside my line of vision, an idea that hasn't quite came into being, waiting for me to reach some conclusion, some optimal point of understanding. Or maybe its just not mine to know.  
 
Hugs to each and everyone of you. Have you ever wondered why I end each post with hugs? A hug is a warm embrace meant to convey, love, friendship, understanding and comfort. I always hope that each post helps you in some way and the "hugs" at the end are meant to express my sincere feelings about you my readers.
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Soul Care 2020

I think 2020 will be a great year for another round of Soul Care. Well, technically we should be doing that all the time but lets put a spec...