Monday, July 14, 2014

Perfect as an Angel

Mostly I keep my personal trials and things to myself. Not bursting them open on a blog for all to see. I love to share the joys, the triumphs, the unexpected glimpses of beauty. Perhaps I like to pretend that I live in a perfect little bubble where ugly things never venture.

My oldest brother Jimmy passed away last week and his funeral was today. Isn't that a lovely term "passed away". What does it mean exactly? Other than passing from one life into another? Quite honestly, we weren't particularly close. We'd had many a falling outs through the years and just had very different ways of looking at life, and love, and the world. A while back I let him know that none of that truly mattered. I simply let go of those things that caused anguish, bitterness, and stood like a brick wall between us. We still weren't close (sometimes there's just too much time and distance and it starts to feel surreal) but it still felt better to let go of all those things; that in the long run, in the overall scheme of life, really didn't matter anymore.


Even with all of that, there's still a sense of grief, lost childhood memories and little things that even when I wanted to knock him in the head, only he would truly "get". He could get my temper going like no other and then just say some completely logical thing that left me scratching my head. He wasn't perfect but neither am I, or you, or anyone else for that matter. All he could do is travel this path, this journey through life with his own flair. And that he did.

In the end he left his imprint on many people's lives; friends, family, coworkers. It never ceases to amaze me that so many people can know one in so many different ways. The brother I might describe is not the one my sister would, or his children, or his friends. The parts we play in people's lives are as varied as the stars in the sky. And the legacy one leaves behind can be as vast as the dark night sky, varying in intensity, an ebony canvas filled with clouds and specks of light from the distant stars.  Too beautiful for words.


I've no doubt that he is in a wonderful place, surrounded by people he loved that have gone before him. He won't make a "perfect angel" but he will be perfect as an angel. A strong angel, perhaps a bit stubborn but worthy, an angel like no other ever before him. It makes me smile to think of him in that role.

Hugs to each of you. As I share these very personal thoughts I hope that somehow they may be of some help to you in some small way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Soul Care 2020

I think 2020 will be a great year for another round of Soul Care. Well, technically we should be doing that all the time but lets put a spec...