Friday, July 25, 2014

Comfort, The Way, and the Holy Spirit

 
Gospel of John Chapter 14
 
 
"You know the way to the place I am going."  Jesus says this to his disciples in the well know story of "my Father's house has many rooms."  He is talking with them trying to provide comfort as he knows the days ahead will be full of anguish.
 
 
 
When I first read this I thought "you know the way" and while I realized immediately that this referred to Jesus I also paused to consider it in another light. You know the way.... it's something I often think and believe in my heart, that if we follow our inner guidance (our spirit perhaps) that we know what to do in many circumstances,
 
Then Jesus speaks of the gift of the Holy Spirit. "I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever."
 
 
"But the advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said."  I find the whole concept of this the third part of the trinity intriguing. As I read this part of the scripture I felt that some gem of understanding was just outside my grasp. I will pray and muse about the Holy Spirit.
 
Jesus ends this chapter saying, "the prince of this world is coming, he has no hold over me."  As we seek a stronger, personal relationship with God, the prince of this world will come, but he will have no hold over us if we use the advocate to help us live a life of truth and love.  
 
Hugs to all and may the Holy Spirit dwell in you so that you may know the truth.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Soul Care 2020

I think 2020 will be a great year for another round of Soul Care. Well, technically we should be doing that all the time but lets put a spec...