Sunday, July 27, 2014

Merry Christmas

 
 
Today Pastor Eric's sermon was about Christmas in July, or rather feeling the spirit of Christmas in July.  Isn't that what Scrooge said? " I will honor Christmas in my heart and try to keep it all year long."
 
That made me start thinking about the "magic" of Christmas and how Evan turns eight this year and the magic might not be as much "fun." You know there's nothing like experiencing Christmas through the eyes of a child. It made me a little sad. Yet today's sermon made me realize the REAL "magic" of Christmas never dims. Maybe gifts aren't quite as much fun, nor hanging stockings, or visiting Santa but the true wonder of Christmas simply gets better with age.
 
When my own children were little we did the Advent wreath candles at our house every Sunday and that's a special "tradition" that we got away from. Perhaps Evan will enjoy reinstating it.  I've also wanted to do an advent activity for several years where you open and place a part of the nativity set each day of advent, saving the placing of the baby Jesus for Christmas Eve. That's something I will plan to do this year.  I want to do more to help Evan experience and find joy in Christmas outside the secular, which consumes so many during the holiday season.
 
But let's get back to Christmas in July, or specifically how do we "live" Christmas all year long? You might be surprised in my answer. Yes we can "be a little nicer" to people, greet them warmly and be helpful. We can remember the poor and the needy. We can give more. We can forgive more. BUT what I really think living Christmas all year long is about....is living a life of JOY.
 
 
I know, I know, that seems a little self centered doesn't it. I don't mean it in that way. Yet isn't that what Christmas is all about? The joy of Christ's birth. The joy that changes the world forever. And let me tell you when you are living a life filled with joy, you are giving a gift to others around you. When you let the joy of Christ's birth, the "magic" of this gift be lived out in the joy of your days, you are giving others a taste of the beauty of God. You are transcending a mere human existence and living a spiritual one.
 
 
 
Hugs to each of you. Merry Christmas and Joy to the World!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Soul Care 2020

I think 2020 will be a great year for another round of Soul Care. Well, technically we should be doing that all the time but lets put a spec...