Friday, May 16, 2014

The Soul Divided (Part Two)


As I mentioned in my first post about the divided soul, I almost didn't write my thoughts. I'm not a great philosopher, simply a person who muses. Below I will start with a VERY short version of my understanding of some of the early thoughts and ideas concerning the "soul".

Augustine writes: "Since they say that every living being has two souls, one of the race of light, and the other of the race of darkness, is it the case that the good soul leaves at death while the bad soul remains behind." The serious problem he tries to solve in the Manichaean doctrine is the idea of the two opposing wills of man.

Now if one wanted to argue this idea further you could say that it is similar to biblical references to the body as "earthly" and of the spirit being heavenly. There are also frequent references to the "light" and the "darkness" in the world.

Aristotle describes the soul as having two parts; one rational and one irrational. He proposes that the two parts can act differently but when in best form they do not.

Plato believed the soul had three parts: reasoning, spirited, and desiring. Each region had a different internal life. Yet in the purest form work together to one end.

Plotinus suggested the soul was two parts; the realm of the intellect and the realm of the senses. Like a floating ball the "size" of each might change as it bobs back and forth yet each influences the other. They are divided by facts of the world yet are one in purpose.

I want to pose some questions for you to ponder and reflect on. In  part three I will write my own thoughts about these and other concepts that have come up in this musing about the divided soul.

1. Are soul and spirit two different things? People often use them interchangeably.

2. If the soul is the part of God's likeness given to us (He made us in his image) then how can it be divided?

3. Are we (as some suggest) a trinity like God?  God being the Father, Son and Holy Ghost and humans being spirit, body, and soul.

Praise be to God as he continues to lead me on this spiritual path, always providing me with challenging thoughts that captivate me and tether me to Him.

Hugs to each of you. I will try to wrap this musing up in my next post, although it has the potential to captivate me for some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Soul Care 2020

I think 2020 will be a great year for another round of Soul Care. Well, technically we should be doing that all the time but lets put a spec...