Thursday, May 1, 2014

May Bible Study: The Gospel of John

 
For quite some time now, I've wanted to do a personal Bible study. I've read many portions of the Bible but I wanted to do a more in depth study. I originally planned to do the study privately. There is much to be said about studying privately, just as praying in secret can be powerful. The plan was to start in May but I got so excited about it that I started a few days early.
 
First, since I'm ME, I did some online research about which book is good to start with. Most of what I read suggested starting in the New Testament and specifically the Gospel of John. I've wrote a bit about John in my Investigating Jesus series.
Second I set up a Bible study notebook to use for reflection and journaling. I decided to do a chapter every day Monday-Friday.
 
I tried to get my friend to join in and she wanted to know what guide we would be using. I didn't really want the confines of a guide. I wanted to read, muse, decipher, and hear the words through my own mind and heart first without having them filtered by someone else's interpretation.
 
I'm five days into the study now and I am enjoying it so much I decided to share it with you here at Soul Musings. I'm hoping I might inspire some of you to dive into your own Bible Study. All you need is a Bible and some paper., You can put it in a notebook or use a spiral bound one.
 
 
I set up a "plan". This shows two months. The pink highlighter are days that are not being used for the "study".  In June we will be gone for quite a while on our Alaska trip and I plan to take along a small devotional but I know I won't be journaling or writing a lot during the trip.
 
 
These are my "cliff notes" for chapters one and two and the verses that resonated with me. I plan to layer some whole journal pages behind these where I can write in more detail about my thoughts or add additional thoughts and ideas that come to me. Some of these may occur well after the study is over.  You could easily do the same thing in a spiral notebook. I might doodle or add color at some point but for right now it is just the "heart" of the study.  
 
As I said I started out with the idea that this be a "private study" but then I kept getting little nudges to perhaps change or broaden my idea about that. So I will be sharing my personal reflections of the study here on this blog and over at Soul Musings Facebook page. If you are interested in following along please join the Facebook group or read along here.
 
Hugs all. I'm a few chapters ahead of you but I will be blogging from chapter one so you can jump right in. It's not too late to start.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Soul Care 2020

I think 2020 will be a great year for another round of Soul Care. Well, technically we should be doing that all the time but lets put a spec...