Friday, May 2, 2014

Light, Believing, and the Word


"In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God." John 1:1

So starts the Gospel of John, "the disciple whom Jesus loved." This Gospel focuses on recording the signs or miracles that Jesus performs that prove he is the Messiah, Christ.

My "cliff" notes for chapter one look like this...

  • This chapter starts out talking about Jesus as the Word.  Also in this chapter John the Baptist talks about Jesus, explaining that he has come before Jesus to testify.

"The true light that gives light to everyone is coming into the world" John 1: 9

  • Jesus starts to call his disciples. Andrew, Peter, Phillip and Nathanael.
"Jesus said, you believe because I told you I saw you under the fig tree. You will see greater things than that. "  John 1:50

One of the verses that "jumped out" at me as I read the chapter was

"I am the voice of one calling in the wilderness." John 1: 23

These words were spoken by John the Baptist when he was questioned by the Pharisees as to who he was.

Musings:

The Word of God becomes flesh in Jesus and is able to interact with mankind in ways never before present in an earthly setting. This light (think shining a light on something, revealing it, illumination and understanding) gives light to everyone in the world. Not just the Jews, even from the beginning the plan was to give this light, this knowledge, this savior to anyone who believes.

Believing is hard though isn't it. I always like to say "I'm from the Show Me State, so I have to see it to believe it." This is a theme that Jesus also alludes to. He mentions it first to Nathanael, when he chides him for believing simply because he was able to "see" him under the fig tree.

Seeing is believing but seeing is not always understanding. The Pharisees and the authorities of the time saw or heard of Jesus's signs, they might have even believed that he did perform them but what they lacked was the understanding. What did his ability to do such feats mean? They refused to link these "signs" to the prophecies of old.

I wonder if I would have "heard" the voice in the wilderness. John the Baptist is saying: I am calling but no one is listening, No one hears me. Sometimes I think that God might feel this way today. So much calling but so little hearing in this world crowded with people, sounds, and worries.

Here are a few questions to ask yourself and to muse on for this chapter.

1. Do you make time in your life for the "light"? Do you allow for quiet reflection and stillness to let the light shine and nurture your soul? If not, how might you strive to do this?

2. What is an example of a time in your life when you saw, believed AND understood God's presence in your life? If you can't think of one, pay close attention in this next week and find a time when God whispers to you.

Hugs to all of you. I'm not a Bible expert; what you read here are my personal thoughts and reflections but perhaps they will be useful in some small way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Soul Care 2020

I think 2020 will be a great year for another round of Soul Care. Well, technically we should be doing that all the time but lets put a spec...