Sunday, March 30, 2014

Spiritual Blindness

 
Today's sermon focused on John 9 and the story of Jesus healing the blind man. I want to reflect a bit about the story and how it unfolds.
 
His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?”
John 9:2
 
As was common in the day (and for some still today) things like birth defects and afflictions were seen as being caused by sin and yet Jesus clearly answers.
 
“Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him." John 9:3
 
Back in my post Finding Beauty in Imperfections  I wrote " There can't be anything more beautiful than that. In our imperfections we provide God with opportunities to be in our lives. For His power to flow into the world via our weaknesses."  I feel like God is giving me bread crumbs on my spiritual quest and they are appreciated!!
 
Another thing I noted during the sermon was that Jesus healed him on the Sabbath. Remember in my investigation of Jesus post called Erasing the Lines I said I felt he was a "line crosser" and thankful we should be for that.
 
These I call the "clues" in my investigation. Little insights that tie together and make sense and allow me to little by little reveal the path God is setting before me. A path of discovery and greater awareness. A personal journey, not one of glory and fame but of something of much more value, a spiritual quest.
 

Jesus said,“For judgment I have come into this world, so that the blind will see and those who see will become blind.
Some Pharisees who were with him heard him say this and asked, “What? Are we blind too?” 
 Jesus said, “If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin; but now that you claim you can see, your guilt remains. John 9: 39-41

This one is a little tangled for me. It's what Jesus told the Pharisees when they questioned him after the man said he believed him to be the Lord. Jesus came to the world so that all could "see" or at least have the opportunity to see. So Jesus is saying, if you were blind (did not have the ability to see) you would not be guilty BUT now that you proclaim that you are able to see (even though you do not see it correctly) you will be held accountable.
 
Remember I've talked before about "whispers from God" and I always talk about serendipity, you know those uncanny times when we find what we are looking for even before we realize that we are looking for it. Little pieces of a puzzle that fall into place in such unexpected ways.
 
 
So this was in the church newsletter that I picked up this morning. It's for the men's group obviously but I think I shall endeavor to locate and buy a copy of the book. The title intrigues me. I know with it being Easter it isn't all that strange to find something like this but still it has crossed my path and I feel inclined to give it a look. I am sure it can broaden and deepen my Investigating Jesus series.
and this too......
 
Hugs to all of you. May you see with new eyes, hear with new ears, and never be blinded to the love and hope that is available to you.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Soul Care 2020

I think 2020 will be a great year for another round of Soul Care. Well, technically we should be doing that all the time but lets put a spec...