Saturday, March 1, 2014

Finding God in the Strangest Places

I frequently find meaningful tidbits and perspectives outside the traditional Christian teachings. I've explored other religions, practices, theology, and random insights. One time someone questioned the exploration as perhaps "dangerous" in that when we stray from our beliefs we might somehow become entangled in the "other". I've never immersed myself so far in a "practice" or "study" that I felt threatened at all. But then I've never "dabbled" in anything satanic or "dark" either. I stick to the light, the motivational, the teachings that promote the development of self and spirit.



'Test all things; hold fast what is good." 1 Thessalonians 5:21

There are many good spiritual thoughts, ideas, teachings, stories, quotations, and beliefs outside the defined range of Christianity. What I find most interesting is the ones that draw me the most do not negate my beliefs about God but rather uplift, broaden, and deepen them. I spend a lot of time with Native American beliefs because I find them so compelling. The ties to nature and the interconnectedness of all things are in accord with my personal spiritual beliefs.


What is life?
It is the flash of a firefly in the night.
It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime.
It is the little shadow which runs across
the grass and loses itself in the sunset.

Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator 1830 - 1890
 
Just found that little gem and was drawn to it. It reminded me of something I wrote in my little art journal several months ago.
 
When you think about the miracle of creation,
Think not of the great mountains but
of the tiny dragonfly.
How small and yet perfect in design
Crafted by God's hand
With an eye for detail.
 
 
Life is found in everything. All of the "little" things that pass by us often without notice. The firefly, the buffalo, the shadow....or even my dragonfly. Each a tiny miracle in themselves. God too is found in everything if we but pause to notice and appreciate. It is the weariness of this world that blinds us to the joy of life and also perhaps to God's messages.  As we seek we shall find.
 
"Wise men and women are always learning, always listening for fresh insights." Proverbs 18:15
 
 
As we grow in our spiritual life, as our soul connects with God we can "see" things that we have never even noticed before. We will see meaning in lots of aspects of life that have evaded us before.
At some point we will be the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset.  
 
Hugs to you! I hope you will take a bit of time to think of a quotation, a concept, a poem or symbol that "speaks" to you. Reflect on it and see how fits into your life. God gives us insight in "strange" places and through "strange" sources.
 
 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Soul Care 2020

I think 2020 will be a great year for another round of Soul Care. Well, technically we should be doing that all the time but lets put a spec...