Monday, March 3, 2014

Unanswered Prayers

I think one of the most difficult things for people of faith are "unanswered prayers". We all know that sometimes we pray (often with a specific outcome in mind) and things do not turn out as we had hoped.  Its hard to accept that sometimes our prayers seem to fall on deaf ears. The truth is that the prayers are heard but because we exist in a humanly plane and God on a heavenly one, we do not always understand the answer we get.


Let's not muse on "unanswered prayers" involving illness and death because those are so traumatic and so personal that I'm not sure any explanation would "work." I've had several profound losses in my life and I'm certain I'll never know the why while here on earth.  I will say that it is only God's strength that has gotten me through some aspects of life.


Instead let's focus on something that has been an ongoing process with me. That is changing the "way" I pray. I'll admit....I think I know "best". So when praying about a bothersome issue I always am tempted to "tell" God what the answer should be, the direction I want things to head, what is needed. Isn't that presumptuous of me? I mean what do I REALLY know with my limited life experiences. How do I know that the "direction" I want something to go won't be a disaster.  I think part of this struggle I have comes from fear or lack of control.

So I am constantly talking to myself, as well as, God during prayers. Reminding myself that the nature of prayer is a conversation with God. He might have something to whisper to me that I will miss with my constant insistence that "I know" what is needed. I've tried to change my wording so I am asking for God's guidance, his support, his comfort, his direction rather than saying "how" I think things should unfold.

This is one of my favorite verses.....

"Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you."   
                                                                                                 Matthew 7:7

Sounds like a fairy tale right? Yet when I change the nature of my prayers it makes perfect sense.
  • "Ask and it will be given to you" (support, comfort, guidance, patience)
  • "seek and you will find" (seek His presence and His will and you will find it, hear His whispers of reassurance)
  • "knock and it will be opened to you." (you will be given insight, spirit, the door will not be shut)
Just tonight as I was saying a short prayer about something I started to drift into listing all the things I thought should happen or were needed. Then I heard a tiny whisper in my mind "patience". It made me pause and realize that I was frantically praying without waiting for God's turn in the conversation.
As I tried to turn in another direction my mind kept obsessively seeking to "provide answers". Again I heard the word: "patience". It was at that point that I decided to write this musing about prayer and unanswered prayers.


For in truth, we do not "know" the answers. When we get knocked down time and time again sometimes it is hard to believe that there is some "gift" in our unanswered prayers. It's hard to believe that there may be a reason, unknown in this world. God's gifts might not be such that we recognize them. Perhaps my gift is "patience" because I sorely lack it. Or perhaps God's whisper was just a reminder that good things come with patience. Simply letting me know that He "heard" me and now it was my turn to "wait.".

Hugs to all of you. May you always find the strength you ask for. May you hear God's whispers and may they guide you everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Soul Care 2020

I think 2020 will be a great year for another round of Soul Care. Well, technically we should be doing that all the time but lets put a spec...