Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Inactivity and God's Messages

It's January 10th and I still have assorted Christmas decorations bunched in groups here and there waiting for my inspired organization to set in that will facilitate them being put away and stored in a wonderful new system, Yeah. right. I have to admit this has been my least productive first ten days to the year EVER.

As I was just about to get busy this morning and tackle that to do list which has been lingering in my planner, I suddenly remembered my commitment to writing more. Procrastination? Most likely but then this little whisper in my head asked me...."how does this inactivity in the mundane things is life relate to inactivity in our spiritual relationship to God." Is He always on the back burner? Do we waste the precious moments that he sends our way?

So before you moan that you don't have one more second to spend on anything, let alone your spiritual journey, let me assure you that the journey is best walked in the midst of our every day tasks, interwoven into all the little (and big) things that comprise our days. The spiritual journey is not some separate entity that lingers just out of reach. Rather it is the journey that we walk every day. Not apart from us but in us.

Now none of that really explains my inactivity. What am I doing with my days? I'm not even sure. I'm not engrossed in TV, or writing or art journaling. I'm not even spending time online. It's like I'm in a sustained state on inactivity. Oh yes, I'm accomplishing a few things each day but certainly nothing to cheer about. Maybe it is a cocoon of hibernation?  Good intentions have not brought it to an end but today...writing this....it feels different. As if a seed of inspiration has been germinating and has suddenly taken root. I have written before about finding joy in the mundane, in knowing God's love through even the smallest tasks, perhaps just perhaps that inactivity was meant to remind me of this. That each thing we do, no matter how small and no matter how ordinary is a step on a journey of discovery.

Hugs to each of you and may your to do lists always include the joy of walking the spiritual journey every day.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Soul Care 2020

I think 2020 will be a great year for another round of Soul Care. Well, technically we should be doing that all the time but lets put a spec...