Thursday, June 5, 2014

Healing, Authority, and Hearts

 
Chapter 5 of The Gospel of John
 
In chapter five we have the healing of the lame man, questioning of authority, and knowing what's inside our hearts. That's quite a lot contained in one simple chapter!  Remember that John's purpose in writing the gospel was to "prove" Jesus was Christ by preserving the stories of the miracles he preformed.
 
The healing of the lame man reminds me a bit of life today.
 
"Sir, the invalid said, I have no one to help me into the pool when the water is stirred. While I am trying to get in, someone else goes down ahead of me. " John 5: 7
 
This brings to mind two things to me...one I must admit seems rather cynical and unchristian like. The thought is: So like today when people do not take personal responsibility and want a "helping hand.". I told you it wasn't a very nice thought but when I ponder it I think there is some validity to it but in another way. Here's what I mean: People must take some personal responsibility for their own spiritual lives. No one is going to "hand that" to them. Their relationship with God is a personal choice and it is their responsibility to nurture it. Yet we are called to "help them into the pool." Once there it is their choice as to how to proceed. We can help them in again and again but we can't force their faith.
 
Second, how so like the world today to ignore the lame man and push ahead of him in the line. Getting to the pool ourselves is somehow more important than helping someone else "make it." Yet in pushing ahead we miss many opportunities to grow in our connection to God. It came to mind that if you enter the pool with an attitude of selfishness than the whole process is tainted. However, should you "miss the pool" because you are helping someone else won't your "reward" be even greater?
 
In this chapter we again have the Jews questioning the authority of Christ for his healing on the Sabbath. "By myself I can do nothing..." Jesus explains that all power is from God. Something we should heed even today. By myself I can do nothing.
 
Jesus also speaks of knowing what is inside peoples hearts. This can be scary. Sometimes when praying I realize that it is not necessary to explain my thought processes to God. For goodness sakes, He already knows my fears, my pains, my "not so nice" thoughts. No matter how "nicely" I play, if there is darkness in my mind or heart, He will know.
 
 
I've actually completed my study of John and I'm just now blogging my thoughts from my journal. It's sort of like a second study as I find myself rereading parts and pondering my notes again.
 
Hugs to each and everyone of you. As I write this I am thinking (perhaps hoping) that something I write will be like a step toward the pool and it will help you in some small way to know the healing love of Christ.
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Soul Care 2020

I think 2020 will be a great year for another round of Soul Care. Well, technically we should be doing that all the time but lets put a spec...