Sunday, November 16, 2014

Walking the Road to Christmas


Every year around this time I get this overwhelming feeling that I'm walking a road, walked by many before me. Not the hectic major highway of the holiday season but a simple road, a road traveled in solitude. It is only in the absence of voices that the road to Christmas is revealed.

Oh I love the sounds of the holiday season, I love the bells and the music and the laughter but yet it is in the silence of the season that I find myself reflecting on the road to Christmas. Imagining a distant time when the birth of a child changed the course of mankind.

I've often wondered if I would have had the courage of the shepherds, leaving their flocks and wandering, guided only by the distant star. Trusting that a marvelous sight, full of wonder awaited them.

God beckons us even today. It might not be with a brilliant star that appears in the sky. It may be through soft whisperings. Yet he asks us indeed, to leave what we know and venture into the unknown, with the simple faith of the shepherds.

I hope as we move into the hectic weeks of the holiday season, that we carve out times of silence to walk the road to Christmas. In the stillness of these times may you hear God's voice and may he fill your heart with a love of Christmas that is more meaningful than anything we can create here in our humanly existence.

Hugs to all of you, fellow travelers on the road to Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Soul Care 2020

I think 2020 will be a great year for another round of Soul Care. Well, technically we should be doing that all the time but lets put a spec...